The palace was built at the turn of the 18th century. In the first half of the 19th century it was rebuilt in neo-classical style. From the end of the 17th century it belonged successively to the aristocratic families of Russocki, Jordan, Humborg, Klucki and Czecz. Currently, it is used by cultural institutions.
The palace is flanked by two outbuildings from the first part of the 18th century. They served as living quarters for the servants and court employees, and as utility rooms for the kitchen, laundry, mangle, locksmith’s workshop, food stores and archives.
The park with an area of about 2 ha. was established in the first half of the 19th century. The grounds feature a fountain, a natural labyrinth, an icehouse, a hornbeam arbour, a lime tree avenue, and a glade. There are about 480 trees and bushes growing here. The most impressive one is the massive plane tree – the “Tree of the Year” 2012.
The manor buildings included a cowshed, a stable, the so-called clock house (an administrative building with a clock tower marking the working time of the manor), a smithy, a granary, a brewery and a sawmill. The cowshed was used for the breeding of Polish red cows.
The St. Florian Court Barn (sheepfold) dates from the 17th century. It is a square structure with a courtyard, wood-shingle roof, and a Baroque gate originally crowned with a sculpture of St. Florian (now in the local museum) in a niche. Private property.
Remnants of the Lower Manor Farm can be found near the crossroads of ulica Przecznia and ulica Chabrowa in the district of Kozy Dolne. Although the original farm buildings are all but gone today, the area is still commonly known as Folwark (i.e. Manor).
Traditionally known as the “Old Castle”, the present-day junction of ulica Beskidzka and ulica Zamkowa is the site of a former medieval house whose ruins were cleared in 1936. It is assumed that the building belonged to the owners of Kozy Górne and served both residential and defensive purposes.
The house was built around 1860. At the end of the 19th century and in the interwar period it housed the Municipal Office, and then a public library with the Adolf Zuber Historical Chamber, operating between 1989 and 2014.
The construction of the Catholic and Community House began in 1920 on the initiative of the “Bratnia Pomoc” Association and completed in 1924. Originally, the house was used for the purposes of all of the local Catholic organizations. After the Second World War, the Cinema “Marzenie” began to operate in the house.
A brick house from the latter part of the 18th century. Originally, it was inhabited by craftsmen, incl. a craftsman, a shoemaker, a butcher and a carpenter. The building housed a cheese factory in the second half of the 19th century. By the end of the 19th century the house was purchased bythe Borth family who ran a bakery there.
An Art Nouveau house erected by the merchant Tomasz Byrski in 1885 and remodelled in 1908. In the house, Byrski ran a shop, a vodka, beer and wine bar and a restaurant on the first floor, opened on Sundays. After 1945, the shop was taken over by the cooperative “Samopomoc Chłopska”.
Before the Second World War, on the site of the present day junction of ulica Bielska, ulica Kościelna and ulica Krakowska, stood a shop which was run by the Jewish merchant Wiktor Gronner. After the outbreak of the war the Gronner family were sent to Auchwitz and their house was demolished.
The house was erected in the mid 19th century and was originally used as a stopping point for the mail coach. . In 1892, the Baroness Wilhelmina Czecz de Lindenwald founded an orphanage in the building, and invited the Sisters of the Resurrection from Kęty to run it. The sisters organized performances, dances and courses of embroidery.
After the first partitioning of Poland, the Austrian authorities began building roads. One of them, which became known as the “Imperial Road” was completed in 1785. It runs a distance of 5 km through Kozy and is presently known as ulica Bielska and ulica Krakowska.
The inn “Pod Koniem” (The Horse) first appeared in the 1782 inventory of manor buildings. After the Second World War, the inn was taken over by the State Treasury. Today, the former “Pod Koniem” inn is the main seat of the Community Centre in Kozy and numerous social associations.
The house was erected by the end of the 18th century to serve as a utility house belonging to the nearby “Pod Koniem” inn. Later on, it was converted into a beer bottling plant and a vodka warehouse, then into a bakery, and finally into the Municipal Office, which is still located there.
The Parish Church of St. Simon and St. Jude was designed by Karol Steinhofer and erected in 1901. It combines Neo-Gothic and Neo-Romanesque styles. The construction works began after the demolition of the old wooden church and took seventeen months to complete.
Due to the considerable distance from the district of Małe Kozy to the parish church, the inhabitants made efforts to create a new parish in the area. In the 1980s, masses were celebrated in a makeshift chapel. The construction of the new church began in 1990 and the temple was consecrated in 1995.
In 1993, the site for the construction of a church in Kozy-Gaje was consecrated. The construction works began in 1997. The new parish, which embraces the districts of Kozy-Gaje and Kozy-Zagroda, received the name Pentecost.
The vicarage dates back to the early 18th century. The adjoining grounds also feature the former barn, an 18th-century coach house and the John Paul II Catechetical House. Opposite the church stands another vicarage from the late 1920s.
The original graveyard for parishioners of the villages of Kozy and Bujaków was the area around the old wooden church. In around 1860, the Municipality of Kozy established a cemetery on the ground purchased for this purpose. The oldest gravestone in the cemetery is the tomb of Fr Augustyn Brożek from 1866.
The cemetery chapel was built in 1890 by Karol Korn as the tomb of the Czecz family. The interior features a wooden altar and a wooden staircase behind it, which leads to the underground crypt, where the family members of the former owners of the manor in Kozy are buried.
1961 saw the establishment of the Social Committee for the Construction of the Fire Station in Kozy, and in July 1966 an impressive new fire station was put into use as a monument to the Millennium of the Polish State and the Baptism of Poland. The local fire brigade is the oldest social organisation in Kozy.
In 1936, a station for the second platoon was put into use in Kozy-Gaje. Originally, it had a manual fire pump on a four-wheel chassis. . In the first half of the 1960s, the building was sold to the communal cooperative and converted into a grocery store.
The volunteer fire brigade in Kozy was established in 1890. The first fire station was built in 1901, and in 1904 the first horse-drawn fire engine was purchased. The old station served the fire brigade until 1966, when a new fire station was put into use. The old building was converted into an electrical shop.
The beginnings of organised sports in Kozy go back to the early 20th century. 1955 saw the foundation of the People’s Sports Club. The club comprises the following sections: football, table tennis, chess, sports bridge, girls volleyball, tourism, athletics and shooting.
The present-day building of the so-called “old nursery school” originally housed the People’s School, which was erected in 1876, but the nursery was not established there until 1949. For some time, the nursery also functioned in the Grabowski Villa. Currently, the main nursery building, erected in 2018, is at ulica Akacjowa.
In the mid 1930s, the People’s School struggled with the lack of space for children to learn. The construction of the new school began in June 1935. Lessons there continued until the outbreak of World War II. 1993 saw the opening of a secondary school in the new extention of the building.
The Primary School no.2 was built as part of the scheme to erect “a thousand schools for a thousand years of the Polish State”. It was officially opened by Edward Gierek, the First Secretary of the Polish United Workers’ Party. The school is named after Stanisław Staszic, a leading figure in the Polish Enlightenment.
The cross measuring: 35m (height) and 10.5m (width), was erected on top of Hrobacza Meadow in 2002 to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the Bielsko-Żywiec Diocese. It was erected on the site of a wooden triangulation tower which stood there until the 1990s.
The stone pillar shrine with a picture of Our Lady of Częstochowa was founded in 1884 by Juliusz Beinlich, the head forester of the Kozy estate. According to legend, the shrine was built as a votive offering for his rescue from a pack of wolves. Nearby is the so-called Marian Spring, discovered around 1980.
The “pod Panienką” shrine was built in 1908 on the initiative of Józefa Naglik. In 2000, the statue of Our Lady in the shrine was decorated with episcopal crowns. The shrine, its surroundings, and the figure of the Virgin Mary are reminiscent of the Marian place of worship at Lourdes.
The stone quarry on the slope of Hrobacza Łąka was opened on the initiative of the aristocric Czecz family in the years 1910-1912. From 1912 to the early 1980s, stones were transported by a 2,510-long cableway to the railway station in Kozy. The quarry was used until the early 1990s.
To the south-east of the quarry lies a small reservoir commonly called Wolf’s Pond. It was probably used for trout breeding by a manor farm. Next to it is a second, slightly larger retention pond.
The cableway which was launched in 1912 carried stones over a distance of 2,510 metres. In 1961, there was a fire at the lower cableway station. In the early 1980s the transport of excavated material by cableway was abandoned and replaced by truck transport.
The small pit for mining iron ore in the mid 19th century was leased by the Habsburgs from Żywiec. By the end of the 19th century, the Frączkiewicz family commissioned a shrine with a picture of the Madonna and Child, which gave rise to the idea of building a church in Małe Kozy.
The Legionary Pond is a former pit for excavating limestone. The pond was named after the Polish Legions who were stationed in Kozy in 1915. The "lime kiln" and St Barbara's shrine are the only remains of the industrial lime kiln in Kozy.
In mid 1944, the German authorities began to build a defence line on the borders of Kozy and Lipnik to stop the approaching Soviet Army. The so-called B2 line featured a number of kochbunkers or concrete one-man shooting posts, some of which have survived in the area of Małe Kozy.
The pass lies in the administrative area of the municipalities of Kozy and Wilkowice. The municipality of Kozy stretches to the popular Gawra Bar on the Przegibek Pass. Cutting across the pass is an asphalt road connecting Bielsko-Biała with Międzybrodzie Bialskie.
The “Old Road” is a historical route running east to west through Kozy. According to oral accounts, troops under Hetman Mikołaj Sieniawski marched here to relieve Vienna in 1683. Kozy borders Kęty in the east – the border was established in 1548.
At the turn of the 20th century, house no. 45 was used as an Austro-Hungarian gendarmerie station. The house was the place of birth of Romuald Reguła (b. 1894), an outstanding painter, and his brother Edward (b. 1895), a soldier of the Polish Legions and later a Polish Army officer killed in Kharkov.
House No. 443 from 1907. In 1910. Franciszek Hołuj (1871-1927) opened a beer bottling plant and restaurant here. The building housed the Veterans Association and the Association of Former Military. In 1946, the Municipal Public Library in Kozy was established here.
The “Pod Wołem” inn operated from the second half of the 18th century until 1912. The name (The Ox) probably refers to the cattle driven along the road. After World War I, the building was converted into a shop which was run by the Bugajski family.
The inn on the border with Bujaków was opened in 1828. Near it stood a barn and a smithy. In 1911, the manor sold the inn to Franciszek Gabryś from Bielany. The “Na Flakach” Inn functioned until 1942. After the Second World War, the building housed a shop.
The inn in Małe Kozy first opened in 1786. In 1910, the establishment was purchased from the manor by Roman Fabia. It had previously been run by the Jewish innkeeper Schlesinger, the Bogusz family and the Fisk family. The inn in Małe Kozy functioned until 1943.
The mill was built in 1928 and had a diesel drive. The creator of the mill was a German man Wojciech Sztukator. The mill could produce 5 tons of flour per day. Wojciech Sztukator ran the mill from 1928 to 1938. After the Second World War, the mill received an electric drive.
Preserved in Kozy Dolne at the confluence of the Pisarzówka and Kozówka streams are the remains of the dams of two water-powered grain mills. The mills were located on farms numbered 101 and 152. They operated from the 18th century until 1942 and 1937 respectively.
In the mid 19th century, there were six mills operating in Kozy, all driven by the power of dammed water, three of which were sawmills. The largest was located near the present-day ulica Podgórska. The mill was powered by water from a man-made reservoir.
A house from around 1805. In the early 19th century, the building housed weaving workshops. In 1819, it was inhabited by a pair of weavers Michał Romański and Józef Honkisz. The production of cloth from sheep wool was an important craft in the regions of Bielsko and Biała in the 18th and 19th centuries.
In 1926 the villa was purchased by Count Grabowski and his family. They had three children: daughters Joanna and Daisy and son Krzysztof. Krzysztof was the first Pole to sail across the Atlantic Ocean alone. Today, the building has houses a Photovoltaic Laboratory of the Polish Academy of Sciences, established in the mid 1980s.
The Bielsko-Kalwaria railway line running through Kozy was built in 1888. Initially, the railway was to bypass Kozy and run through Wilamowice to Dziedzice. The change of plan is said to be due to the owners of the manor estate in Kozy.
At the end of the 1940s, the decision was made to establish a railway station in the eastern part of Kozy, about 3 km away from the village centre. The construction was completed in February 1949. The station was named KOZY-ZAGRODA. Eventually, the building was demolished in 2016.
The Krzemionki railway station is located on the Bielsko-Biała - Kalwaria Zebrzydowska route. It was established in 1950 on the initiative of the residents of the Małe Kozy, Krzemionki, Hałcnów and Lipnik areas. The station building was demolished in 2005 due to its poor technical condition.
Element Grafiki
Element Grafiki